Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Bread

I check in on the PioneerWomanCooks website often because she has some great and easy recipes. I had to smile at one she posted last week, "The Bread".

I have been making a variation of "The Bread" for years. I kind of thought everyone knew how to make french bread in the oven because my Mom has made it my whole life and I almost always put bread in the oven (unless it's the really good, chewy bread but that's a different story). She had hundreds of posts thanking her for the recipe. Really? Teaches me for assuming that everyone knows how to make this. So, I hope you give it a try if you haven't.

So what you'll need:

Loaf of French Bread ~ not the skinny, hard crusted chewy stuff. The softer loaves that are usually quite a bit cheaper

1/2-1 stick of Butter softened

Garlic Powder if desired

Cut your loaf in half and spread as much butter as you think you want. You are going to want to use 1/2 stick at a minimum. You want the butter to be thick and visible so it soaks into the bread. If you want it to be garlic bread, either add 1-2 t of garlic Powder to your butter or simply sprinkle the garlic powder on like if you were lightly salting something.

Put in the oven at 350 for about 5 minutes to let the butter melt into the bread. Flip on the broiler and broil for about another 4 minutes (you can also add some cheese at this point if you want cheesy bread). Cut and serve.

If you want the "healthy" version, spray with spray butter, add garlic powder and skip the baking step, just broil.

Here it is all ready for the oven

Slice and serve. This is how we like it. Pioneer Woman cooks hers for another minute so it has some charred edges, she says it has more flavor. My kids would call it burnt and not eat it;)

1 comment:

K :) said...

Really? There are people who don't know how to do this? Funny, huh? This is exactly how I do it and it will be part of our dinner tonight.