Search This Blog

Friday, May 24, 2013

Apple Turnovers

I had this brilliant idea to make apple crisp and as I was chopping the 4th apple I remembered that Claire had used the last of the oatmeal and I hadn't replaced it yet. 

No worries, I had a pie crust.  I could make a pie without a pan like I did here.  Yes, I actually had a pie crust.  Unfortunately, it expired in January and it looked a bit scary.

It was late and I was tired, so I poked around in the fridge.  SAVED...I had crescent rolls.  You can do anything with crescent rolls and the result is typically yummy.

So, I threw the apples in a pan and this is what I got.

4 chopped apples ~ these were braeburn
2 t Cinnamon
1 t Nutmeg
1/2 T of Sugar
3 T Butter
Cook on low for a couple of minutes.
 Add 1/3 C Brown Sugar and continue to cook on low for a few more minutes until it thickens up.  You want the apples to soften but not be mushy or at least I don't like mushy.
 
Press the seams of two crescent rolls together and put a few tablespoons of apples in the middle.  Carefully wrap dough around the filling.


Like this
 
 
As you can see, I got bored so there is all kind of variations.  Some with double crescents.  Some with single.  They all worked and they were all yummy.  Just make sure you seal your seams the best you can.
 When they come out of the oven and are cool.  Make yourself a little glaze with 3 T Powdered sugar, 1-2 teaspoon of milk and 1 t vanilla.  The glaze should be really thin.  Brush on top and serve.

No comments: