Search This Blog

Monday, April 9, 2012

Scotch Egg

You all know how much I love the state fair. Every year we try at least one new thing. Fifteen years ago that thing was the scotch egg. It was Craig's pick and he LOVED it. Sausage rolled around a hard boiled egg, deep fried. Had his name written ALL over it. You also have the option of sauces to dunk, Craig picked maple syrup.

For those of you who don't know me well, I am a "can I have just a bite girl" AND I truly mean it. Craig would give me a bite of his egg every year and that was plenty for me. Max has developed a liking for them much like his Dad. It has become a yearly tradition for him and now Max.

Since I had the ingredients, I gave it a whirl.

Max said that they were PERFECT.

What you'll need:

1 lb of Pork Sausage
3 hard boiled Eggs
3/4 C Bread Crumbs
Crisco for frying
Maple Syrup for dunking

Pat out a patty of Pork...say that 5 times fast;)
Put your egg in the middle
Wrap the egg with the sausage, essentially making a big meatball.
Roll in breadcrumbs
Heat your Crisco. I used a smaller pan so I wouldn't waste oil and it worked fine doing a little over half at a time for about 2 minutes per side.
Cut and serve with maple syrup
IF you cut it in half and the sausage is pink around the egg~that happened only 1 out of 3~I just toothpicked it back together and fried for another minute.

No comments: