Search This Blog

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Consistency

I shared this story with a few friends and then thought, I should blog it because hopefully my children will read this someday. Someday when they are parents and will understand that I am not being “mean”. I am being consistent to teach them that every action has a consequence or a reaction.

Max’s reaction the other night proved that the method to my madness is working.

Every night Max makes himself a chocolate malt. Every night he leaves the Magic Bullet on the counter when he is done. I remind him, he puts it away most of the time. I was tired of reminding. I was tired of putting it away for him.

So, I told him, “the next time you leave this on the counter, I am throwing it away. Got it?”

“Yep, I got it”.

He put it away for almost a week.

Then he left it out and I didn’t remind him, I put it in a different cupboard without telling him.

He went to make his malt and didn’t find the Magic Bullet where it was supposed to be. He didn’t ask, he didn’t whine or pout, he simply scooped ice cream into a bowl and left the kitchen after putting everything away because he knew that he shouldn't ask me because he was the reason the Magic Bullet wasn’t where it was supposed to be.

No comments: