Search This Blog

Sunday, September 18, 2011

What I'm hearing...

A few people have said/asked some things the past few weeks that got me thinking I need to address a few things.

First...my kids do not get a gourmet meal every night. FAR from it. My kids, as I've told all of you are fairly fussy so I keep it simple for them and my other recipes are shared with friends.

Second...I don't ever make some one's "speciality" for them. It makes me nervous. But, if you want to make something that you consider "my" speciality and share...thank you.

Third...I was raised that we sat at the dinner table every night, ate together and shared our day. In my teenage years, that was difficult because of activities but the table was still there and I made an effort to be sitting in my seat as often as I could because it's what we did.

I have raised my children the same way. A lot of people thought it was odd that a dining room was a "must have" when I bought a house. But for me, it's my comfort zone and even if we're eating McDonalds, we're eating it at the dining room table, telling 3 things from our day and connecting. Even with our busy schedule, I am still fortunate enough to sit at that table with my kids 4-5 times a week during the school year because I make that a priority. Summer we go with the flow and it doesn't seem to happen as often. I don't think any less of you if you don't sit at a table. As I said, "it's MY comfort zone".

The fourth one hurt my feelings a little bit...I NEVER turn up my nose at things that other people make, nor do I judge. I APPRECIATE every meal, cookie and snack that is given to me. I have always said, "I don't care if someone wanted to drop off a frozen pizza. I'm just grateful I won't have to cook that night".

Lastly, there has been a lag in new recipes for a variety of reasons:

My hard drive blew up on my computer and I lost several recipes that I was going to post so now I'll have to make them again to get photos.

My kids still aren't too adventurous so that hasn't made me too ambitious:)

School, dance and hockey started, i.e., life started again and we're a bit busier and bit more tired at the end of the day.

I also am taking a class on-line. I've decided it's time to cross a regret off my list and finish my college degree even if it's only one class at a time.

SO..with all that said, the next couple of weeks are going to be the recipes that you've seen. Recipes that are eaten in my house on a regular basis, we eat the same things OFTEN, because I know they are things that my kids like and I hope yours do as well.

AND, thank you so much for stopping in and reading or trying a recipe here or there. I started this blog simply to have recipes that were measured correctly for my friends and kids and to show you that I'm not a master in the kitchen. I'm an everyday cook who wanted to show you that you can do this too:)

1 comment:

Marie said...

Christol,
You are an amazing mom! Thank you for sharing your recipes and stories with us. BTW...we are having Sticky Chicken on Wednesday. :)