Search This Blog

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Prom



I still can't believe Dylan is old enough to go to his first prom. How did he get so old? How did my little guy who would wake me on Saturday mornings so he could color with his chalk on the front sidewalk become such a handsome man.

Yes, MAN...I can't pretend anymore that he is my little snuggle bunny. I had a knot in my stomach for the past two weeks while we received minor details of how the night would play out. I was sure that I would cry because I had been holding down that lump in my throat for so long. Tina and I not making eye contact with each other because we didn't want to set each other off. But as we prepared his pocket square and tightened his tie just right, all I felt was anticipation.

I was excited to see his date, to take the photos. It was a drizzly day so outside photos were out of the question so the kids re-routed to an inside location. It was hard not to grab and hold his hand as I've done on his many firsts as we walked into the Guthrie to take pre-prom photos.

The mood was festive. A bit chaotic with all the couples and parents trying to get the best shot. His date was late but that didn't ruffle Dylan's always calm demeanor. Genevieve came bubbling in and the snapping started. I kissed his cheek goodbye and told him to have a great time, he simply nodded and said thank you.

I have watched him grow without really seeing it until I reviewed the photos I took last night and that's when the tears slid from my eyes. I'm no longer able to deny the young man that is smiling back at me is growing up. And, this is just one more memory to tuck into my heart.




1 comment:

K :) said...

Christol, as an aunt to some pretty terrific teenagers myself, I couldn't help but shed a tear or two reading your post. He is a very handsome fellow. Great pictures.