Search This Blog

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

I've done some talking about my Dad and what a wonderful person he was but I haven't talked about the rock in my life...my Mom, Carolyn.

We have always been close with the exception of the years between 14 and 16 when she said she was just trying to survive me;) But even then, she gave me the boundaries and space to grow and become the person I am today.

My Mom is amazing. It's something that I will admit I've taken for granted over the years because she is always in my corner. She is honest and will answer absolutely any question you ask. She doesn't mince words, she tells you like it is. She expects honesty because she gives honesty. Sometimes blunt, but always the truth. Make no excuses, you made your decisions, now own them. You are in control of who you give your good mood to. Those are just a few of the things that she has instilled in me.

She is an amazing cook and hostess as you know from all the recipes of hers that I've shared. You will never leave a function at her house hungry.

She is not only a wonderful Mom but a spectacular Nana. She attends all her grandchildren's big events and quite a few of the little ones. She spoils her grandchildren with love.

She is kind of an introvert but has a quick wit and you don't want to mess with someone she loves because she will be ALL over you. She is the person you want to call when you are in crisis because she is locked and loaded with how to figure it out.

One of my little crisis moments was when I was in high school and the marching uniforms for my entire danceline, 32 girls, all of sudden were out of stock and we needed them for Saturday. It was a Tuesday afternoon and she found something that would work in New York and had them shipped so we had them by Thursday afternoon. This was back in 1985 when the internet didn't exist..I'm still not sure how she managed it. That's my Mom, she's like Santa Claus, never quite sure how things happen, they just do.

I have watched her take care of my Aunt and Uncle when they were dying. She never missed a beat, she stepped up and did what needed to be done. And, when the love of her life died suddenly, she made sure all of us were ok first. Her strength amazes me.

People have told me how lucky I am to have such a wonderful role model and I couldn't agree more. So today...this post is dedicated to you Mom. I love you and I am very thankful to have you in my life. Thanks for all that you do, for the days you bite your tongue or offer a snide quip to make me smile but most of all for being a constant in my life.

Happy Mother's Day!!

No comments: