Search This Blog

Friday, May 6, 2011

Crockpot Mac and Cheese


Always looking an easy thing to make for the kids at family get togethers and this worked completely. Paula Dean's crockpot Mac and Cheese.

I simply copied and pasted the recipe and put my changes in BOLD.

2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (an 8-ounce box isn't quite 2 cups)
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, cut into pieces
2 1/2 cups (about 10 ounces) grated sharp Cheddar cheese
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sour cream I used Reduced Fat
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed Cheddar cheese soup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk I used skim
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Directions
Boil the macaroni in a 2 quart saucepan in plenty of water until tender (I went al dente on this because there is nothing worse than over cooked noodles. I think my choice was a good one), about 7 minutes. Drain.

In a medium saucepan, mix butter and cheese. Stir until the cheese melts. (I did this but it was a bit messy. I think I would just stir the melted butter and shredded cheese with the pasta next time)

In a slow cooker, combine cheese/butter mixture and add the eggs, sour cream, soup, salt, milk, mustard and pepper and stir well. Then add drained macaroni and stir again. Set the slow cooker on low setting and cook for 3 hours (I think 2 would work), stirring occasionally.

No comments: