Search This Blog

Friday, October 25, 2013

Pumpkin Carving

Dylan heading to school 5 hours away was a bit of a transition but it's one we all made eventually but I miss him extra in October because we had our traditions.  Cookie baking, decorating and of course when it comes to pumpkin carving.  I could see the wheels turning when he started carving but he makes it look so easy.  And he always made something different and fun.

 You can't tell from the picture but he carved brains on the top.

Every year I also remember picking him up at pre-school on an October afternoon when he was 3.  The teacher pulled me aside and asked if everything was ok at home.  I told her it was.  She asked if Dylan was ok.  I said that I thought so and asked why.  She pulled out a big cut out orange construction  paper pumpkin that Dylan had drawn a face on.  He had also drawn tears down the face.  She pointed at the tears and said, "see why I'm concerned"? 

Dylan came out and I said, "Nice job on the pumpkin sweetie but why does it have tears"?  He looked at me and said, "Well wouldn't you be crying if someone was carving your face"?  I agreed I probably would, smiled at the teacher, took his hand and we left.  Lesson learned to always ask and not assume..even with a child.

No comments: