Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Kathleen Grissom’s Molasses Cake

This was September's book choice and 9 out of 10 LOVED it.  The other one liked it:)  We had a great discussion and a yummy dinner.
 

And, then dessert was served.  There is a recipe in the back for Molasses Cake.  It reminded me of a gingerbread cookie and needed a little more sweet in my opinion so I made a yummy fresh whipped cream with powdered sugar instead of regular.  The bonus was that my house smelled like Christmas:)

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup butter softened

  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar

  • 1 egg

  • 1/2 cup milk ~ I used skim

  • 1 cup molasses ~ I used mild flavor

  • 2 cups flour

  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger

  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon

  • 2 dashes ground cloves

  • 1/4 teaspoon salt ~ I did not add salt


Instructions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan or use a mini cake pan.

In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Beat in the egg. Add the milk and the molasses. Add the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and cloves.

Spoon batter into the prepared pan. Bake for approximately 45 minutes for the 8 inch square pan or 25 minutes for the mini cake pan, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

I double the recipe and baked in a 13x9 pan for about 40-45 minutes.

To make the whipped cream

Small container of Whipped Cream
1 t Vanilla extract

Whip it until it's firming up. Add 3/4 Powdered Sugar and whip until stiff. It's PURE heaven

No comments: