Search This Blog

Monday, May 21, 2012

Mango Salsa

I saw a dude on the Food Network make a salsa that had mango and avocado and it looked refreshing. I completely didn't pay attention to who the guy was or really what he put in it other than the two main ingredients because I thought I didn't like mangos. Turns out I had them confused with papaya. I have a vivid memory from a honeymoon hung over brunch that involved papaya, ummm yeah, GAG!

So you are probably wondering why I would make something that I thought I disliked?? I actually have several reasons: it was Claire's birthday party, I had several people coming for dinner, I could try out a new recipe and someone would probably eat it. See, I really do have a method to my madness.

Because of my, "thought I disliked them", I've never bought one. I went to the grocery store to grab a couple and this woman was picking them up, putting some back, putting others in her bag so I asked her how to know if they were ripe. She shrugged and said, "you just never know". In my head, I was thinking why are you putting some back and some in the bag?? But I said nothing and grabbed two that looked and felt similar. Kind of soft but not squishy.

When I cut them up, I understood what she meant. I had two mangos that looked like twins from a tree. One was the perfect texture for ripe fruit, color great, juicy, in a word...YUMMY and I realized I DO like mangos. The evil twin was "fine" but it was drier, the color wasn't as bright and it was a bit firmer to cut. Mixed together they worked fine. Everyone who tried the salsa really liked it. I kinda loved it and can't wait to make it again. I think it would be awesome on a piece of chicken or maybe some fish or mixed in with some rice or, well, the possibilities are endless.

At any rate, you're probably wishing I would stop talking and get the party starter so here you go:

2 Mangos peeled and chopped
2 Avocados peeled and chopped
Juice from one lime
2-3 T Red Onion minced
Jalapeno seeded and minced ~ I used one that was about the size of my pinky in length. I would have liked more spice but I knew kids would be trying it too.
Pinch of Sea Salt

Mangos have a hard center. Peel the outer skin and cut as much mango as you can get from the center. Chop and put into bowl. Cut avocado in half, remove pit, score the avocado and scoop out into bowl. Or you can peel it and chop it, whatever works for you. Cut your lime in half and squeeze over the top of avocado. Add onion, jalapeno and salt and give a light toss. Chill and serve. YUMMY.
Here is your chopped up mangos.
Score your avocado and use a spoon to scoop out.
Ready to go.


No comments: