Search This Blog

Friday, March 30, 2012

Crockpot Chicken

I first made the sticky chicken recipe awhile back. I liked the flavor but let's be honest, I'm not a prep the night before kind of girl. I'm also not a huge fan of touching raw chicken so I now "sprinkle" the seasoning instead of rubbing the seasoning in. I also went crazy a few times and just grabbed some spices that go together and/or that I like, sprinkled them on top and turned on the crockpot. However, make sure you use at least 4 t Salt or equivalent because the chicken needs the salt. It's been wonderful every time. Other than the crunchy skin, it's very similar to Beer Can chicken that is done on the grill.

Here's what you'll need if you want to follow the recipe:

4 t Salt
2 t Paprika
1 t Cayenne
1 t Onion Powder
1 t Thyme
1 t White Pepper
1/2 t Garlic Powder
1/2 t Black Pepper
1 Whole Chicken
1 medium Onion chopped
2 cloves Garlic

In a small bowl, combine the spices. If you bought a chicken with giblets and/or neck..remove those. Wash the chicken well, taking extra care with the cavity. Sprinkle the spice mixture into the chicken, inside and out. Try to make sure it's evenly distributed.

Place garlic and chopped onion into cavity of chicken and put in the crockpot. You don't need any liquid because the chicken will make it's own juice. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, I cooked 10 because that's how my day worked out, it was falling off the bone. Slice it up and you can spoon some of the juices on top if you desire. I threw the onions/garlic out.

Here's your spice mix.

Just a whole chicken, wash it
Sprinkle with seasoning, throw the onion in the middle and a couple cloves of garlic

Doesn't this look yummy!
I cut it up, poured a bit of pan juices on top and put in the oven on warm while I made the sides. Forgot to take a "pretty" photo, sorry.

No comments: