Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Coca Cola Cake

Our book club read a cheesy book last summer, the name escapes me. One of the women in the book became a master baker who was famous for her Coca Cola Cake. I found the recipe on the author's website and was going to make it for our discussion but ended up not getting it done. However, I still had to know if the Coca Cola Cake was something that I was missing in my life. Turns out, it wasn't, lol.

I'm not saying that it wasn't a good cake, it was. But as you all know, I'm not a "cake" girl. That being said, several people REALLY liked the cake. It wasn't too sweet, just the right chocolate flavor. I thought it was kind of like a brownie/cake mix and let's be honest, pour some cooked chocolate frosting on anything and it goes up a notch in my book.

Here's what you'll need:

2 C self-rising flour (I didn't have self-rising so I made my own and used 2 C Flour, 2 1/2 t Baking Powder, 1/2 t Salt)

2 C sugar
3 T cocoa
1 C Coca-Cola
1 C butter
1 1/2 C miniature marshmallows
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 C buttermilk
1 t baking soda
1 t vanilla

•Frosting:

1/2 C Butter
1 T Cocoa
6 T Coca-Cola
1 lb Powdered Sugar
1/2 C chopped pecans ~ I skipped these)

Preparation:

Grease and flour a 9 x 13-inch pan and set aside.

In a large bowl combine flour and sugar.

In a saucpan combine the cocoa, Coca-Cola, butter, and marshmallows; bring to a boil. Combine the boiled mixture with the flour and sugar mixture.

Add the eggs, buttermilk, baking soda, and vanilla to the first mixture. Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 25-30 minutes, until cake tests done with a skewer.


Frosting: In a saucepan, bring butter, cocoa, and Coca-Cola to a boil. Stir in the sugar and mix well. Stir in nuts. Spread over the cake while both cake and frosting are still warm.

Serves about 16.

Melt the Cocoa, cola, butter and marshmallows.
Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
Pour boiled mixture into your dry and stir to combine.
Add buttermilk, eggs and vanilla. This is where I needed to get my whisk out to incorporate all the ingredients.
Pour into greased 13x9 pan and bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven.
Now we need to make the frosting. Put butter, cocoa and cola into a small pan, make sure it's big enough to also hold a pound of powdered sugar. Bring the butter, cocoa and cola to a boil. Remove and add powdered sugar and vanilla, whisk to combine. Immediately pour of warm cake. See those pesky white balls?? That is powdered sugar clumps that wouldn't break up, this particular bag of powdered sugar gave me problems in another recipe. I should have returned it because I don't typically have that problem and I was a tad bugged. Tasted fine though.
Let cake cool and serve

No comments: