Search This Blog

Friday, March 16, 2012

Artichoke Spinach Soup

Always looking for vegetarian recipes for Dylan and being that it's Lent, been thinking about my Catholic friends too, when I found this I was excited. I only changed a couple of things, I apologize that I can't give my direct source, I thought I'd be able to find the recipe again and I can't.

Dylan likes soup and he said this is the best soup I've ever made. It has the same great taste as artichoke spinach dip.

I took out a few bowls for Dylan and added chicken to the rest to share with friends since you all know that my kids won't eat soup unless I bribe them with money. "Restaurant quality" is what I heard a couple of times.

Bonus...SUPER easy:)

Here's what you'll need:
2 T Butter
2 T Olive Oil
Medium Onion diced
8 oz package of Mushrooms ~ roughly chopped
4 cloves garlic minced
1/2 t Pepper
1/2 t Salt
1/2 t Cayenne
2 cans Artichokes packed in water
6 1/2 C Chicken or Vegetable broth
1/4 Flour
1/2 t Tarragon
1/2 t Thyme
2 C Half and Half
5 oz fresh Spinach chopped
1 C Parmesan
Package of Boneless Chicken Breast ~ optional

In your soup pot, melt butter and olive oil together over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, mushrooms, salt and pepper. Saute for about 6-8 minutes until vegetables are softened. Add artichokes. Sprinkle flour over mixture and stir to combine. Add broth, making sure you scrape the bottom of the pan to get everything mixed together and let simmer for about 15 minutes. Add thyme, tarragon and cayenne. Add half and half and spinach and simmer for another 10 minutes~very important to not let the soup boil after you put in the half and half. Stir in cheese and the chicken if you choose. Serve. Makes 8-10 bowls of soup.

If you are going to use chicken, cut into bite size pieces and pan fry with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.


Make sure you buy the ones packed in water
Mince your onion and rough chop your mushrooms
Chop your artichokes
Saute your mushrooms, garlic and onions. Add artichokes after about 6 minutes
Sprinkle your flour after about 6 minutes
Add your chicken broth
Add your half and half
Enjoy!



No comments: