Search This Blog

Monday, March 12, 2012

Chocolate Cupcakes

It was Lisa's birthday and she loves dark chocolate so I wanted to make a rich, deep, chocolately cake. I looked up "best chocolate cake" recipes and I would give credit where credit is due but I found the same recipe on 6 different sites before I stopped looking. I thought, "this must be a great recipe if this many people thought so".

Grabbed the only thing I needed at the store, buttermilk, and got to baking. As I was mixing it up, I had deja vu? Yep, I've made a very close variation of this recipe before. This one had different measurements and HOT coffee but it was close. I decided to make cupcakes because I didn't have time to make an actual cake.

At any rate, it's a really good cupcake. It didn't hit "great" for me but I'm not a "great" cupcake kinda girl. But Max, who doesn't typically like cake, ate two and was looking for more. He loved how moist they were.

Another nice thing, it made 34 cupcakes. Sometimes, you just need more than 24 but you don't want 48.

Here's what you'll need:

1 3/4 C Flour
2 C Sugar
3/4 C Cocoa Powder
2 t Baking Soda
1 t Baking Powder
1 t Salt
2 Eggs
1 C Buttermilk
1/2 C Vegetable Oil ~ I used Canola
1 t Vanilla
1 C Strong Hot Black Coffee ~ I used Espresso Roast

Combine your dry ingredients and mix well. Add wet ingredients with the exception of coffee. Give it a couple of minutes with the electric mixer. Pour in black coffee and mix until incorporated. The batter is a bit thinner than a cake mix.

Fill cupcakes liners half full and bake at 350 for about 16 minutes. You can test by touching the top. If an indentation doesn't stick, they are done.

Cool, frost with your favorite chocolate frosting and enjoy.

No comments: