Search This Blog

Monday, July 19, 2010

Calico Beans

I'm not really a "bean" person but someone assigned beans to me at a pot luck and I gave it a go. This is one of those no rules recipes. You can really use any variation of beans and your favorite BBQ sauce. I only make these occasionally and I know that there are recipes that are more involved but as you know, that's not my style;) This is for about 15 people, double as necessary.

What you'll need
1 Large Can Baked Beans ~ I like Bush's
1 can Black Beans drained and RINSED
1 can Great Northern Beans drained
1 can Pinto Beans drained
3/4 bottle of your favorite BBQ Sauce
1/4-1/2 C Ketchup
2 T minced dried Onion
1/2 lb hamburger or ground turkey cooked~optional. Seasoned to taste with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
You can also throw in a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar.

Throw it all in a crock pot and cook on low for about an hour. You can make these the night before (I actually think they taste better that way, gives the flavors time to meld together).



Add the hamburger, BBQ Sauce and Ketchup and heat through

No comments: