Search This Blog

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Helmet Fries

Happy Father's Day!

My Mom is going to give me crap about giving another family recipe up. But this one was actually my Dad's and since it's Father's Day I thought it was appropriate. He claims that you could make these in your Army helmet and that's how they got their name. He didn't cook much but he would eat ANYthing and never complained. It was the family joke when something wasn't good, "Dad wouldn't even eat it". I further know that he would think this Blog was pretty cool and he'd tell everyone he knew about it.

When I was young, my Mom went out of town for a few days and by the time she came home we all claimed to have grease poisoning because he fried EVERYthing. He was born and raised in the South, we blame it on the South;) He would laugh everytime I told the story about grease poisoning. But Helmet Fries, we liked his fries.

He died unexpectedly on September 8, 2008 and my life will never be the same. I miss him EVERY single day. He was a loving husband, dedicated to his family and a wonderful Father, Papa and Uncle. He could fix anything, saved everything, told silly jokes and talked to absolutely everyone. His work started a yearly Customer Service Award in his name..the JAR award, his initials. He was the kind of man that you hope your children grow up to be. Truly there are not words to express how amazing he was or how much he is missed.

So I make these fries every once in awhile, my kids smile and remember their Papa and I remember grease poisoning:).

Wash your potatoes, slice.

And then cube.

Fry them in your favorite oil for about 5 minutes.

Season with salt or your favorite seasoning and enjoy!

Here is a photo of him with my kids and Mom heading to one of his favorite places...Disney World.


Happy Father's Day Dad..I love you!

No comments: