Search This Blog

Monday, June 14, 2010

Book Club

My life detours usually involve food or books. I've given you a bunch of my favorite recipes and have more to come. But, I thought I would also mention three books that I have recently read and enjoyed.

I won't give you a book report because "I" prefer for people to say, "I liked it" or "I didn't". BUT, you can tell me if I will need tissues. I don't like to be caught off guard at the pool or hockey rink bawling my eyes out.

I think when you read a book, it depends on your frame of mind whether or not you'll like it. There is the exception of the horribly written book that you should save a friend from purchasing but 99% of the time, I think people should form their own opinion as to if they like a book or not. With that said, here are a few of my recent favorites.

The first one is The Help by Kathryn Stockett

January's assigned book was The Help and I had absolutely NO idea what it was about when I picked it up. I wasn't expecting it to be a book that I would fly through. It is a book about the maids and their employers in the south in the 1960s. I laughed, I was horrified...I really enjoyed it.

The next one is The Art of Racing in The Rain by Garth Stein

This is June's book. I started it Friday night before bed and finished it Saturday afternoon. It is a dog telling the life story of his owner. The book kept my interest as I read it and I really liked the ending.

And, last is Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah

This was my choice for August. A friend told me that she loved the book and we typically like the same type of books so I gave it a try. I really liked it but I would read the last 75 pages in the privacy of your own home. Lots of emotions going on and I was very glad I wasn't at the pool reading it.

1 comment:

RunningmamaNC said...

I *loved* Firefly Lane, too. I wish someone had told me to read the last 75 pages with a box of tissues handy and in the privacy of my home--- I was boo-hooing through it poolside on our Disney Cruise!!!!

Kimberly