Search This Blog

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Caramel Pecan Brownies

As you probably know by now, I am a firm believer in keeping things simple and easy. Simple and easy does NOT mean that it has to taste like you made no effort. I like brownies, I LOVE brownies that have a little extra effort. This effort is worth it, I promise. And, even though everyone has a different threshold for "simple and easy" if you can open a box and unwrap candy..you're in business here.

I went a bit crazy on these too. My kids don't like nuts~insert whiny voice. Nuts are protein for kids who don't get enough in my opinion. SO, I put nuts in the brownies. I chopped them up but didn't mince or leave the chunks big enough to pick out. If they want a brownie, they can eat a nut too. Guess what, they not only ate the brownie, they said, "hey, I guess I don't hate nuts";). Nuts wrapped in chocolate and caramel..what's not to love.

What you'll need
Brownie Mix prepared according to directions
1 C Pecans chopped~or whatever nut you want, Pecans is what I had
24 Caramel filled Dove Chocolates

Make your brownie mix, mix in 3/4 C chopped nuts and pour into 13x9 sprayed pan. Think of cutting the pan into 24 bars, stick a caramel so each brownie will have a caramel in the middle. 4 wide by 6 long and the photo will help. Bake brownies according to package directions. Cool. You can just top with the 1/4 C left over nuts.

NOTE...when I cook with nuts, I make sure they are visible. I don't need to send someone to the hospital who has a nut allergy. So, if it's a baked good, I top with nuts. Basically it's my "you've been warned" topping.

IF you want to push these brownies over the top. Make the cooked fudge frosting and then top with the nuts. Get a glass of milk and ENJOY!

Fudge Frosting

1/4 C Butter
4 T Milk
2 T Cocoa
Bring to a boil. Add
1 t Vanilla
1 3/4 C Powdered Sugar
Whisk until smooth and pour on top of brownies.

Get these but with caramel in the middle.

Space out the candy like this.

Out of the oven

Frosted and topped with nuts

See the caramel inside...YUMMY

No comments: