Search This Blog

Monday, September 9, 2013

Super 16


My baby is 16!!  I won't ask again where the time has gone even though I wonder how just yesterday he was my snuggly baby boy.

This year he's a sophomore in high school who will be playing hockey and baseball.  He's almost 6'1" and wears a size 12 shoe.  He is practicing his driving and working on his GPA so he can get his license.  He continually antagonizes his sister.  He loves his family and doesn't think twice when Alivia hands him a Barbie or an apron.  He is making appropriate decisions and is a good kid.  And, my favorite thing..he tells me he loves me whenever he gets out of the car whether it's when I'm dropping him at school, a friend's house or practice..every single time, no matter who is around and every single time my heart melts just a little bit.
 
His physical changes are evident to the naked eye but watching him mature this year has been an emotional journey for me.  He is starting to "get it".  Why he was raised with consequences, why I have expectations, that hard work will always pay off, manners will take you a LONG way and seeing first hand as a camp counselor what the result is when you aren't raised that way.  His frustration level was high a few days and when he'd tell me how awful the kids behavior was and that they respected (yes, he used that word) no one.  He said, "you would kick my butt if I behaved that way".  I told him that it's "easy" to not discipline your children or have expectations but look what happens when you take the easy road.  He shook his head and said, "yeah, that's just ridiculous".

He came home from a Twins game a month ago and said, "a lady at the game told me to tell you that you did a great job raising me".  I gave him the "huh" face.  He continued with, "She said that she was impressed with my manners and that you did a good job".  I told him that HE did the good job by using them when I wasn't around.

We've had a few growing pains this year but mostly we're evolving into a different kind of relationship.  My years of teaching and guidance have turned into reminders and words of support or encouragement.  I am SO proud of the person he has grown to be and look forward to watching him accomplish whatever it is he decides to tackle.

Happy Birthday Max!!  I hope your day is as SPECTACULAR AS YOU!!

1 comment:

~mj~ said...

What a beautiful tribute to an amazing kiddo! *sniff*