Search This Blog

Monday, February 6, 2012

Beef Barley

I was hungry for some really good soup. I had some leftover Crockpot Beef in the freezer and decided to go from there. I would also like to note that I don't have the right amount left over from one crock pot of beef. I keep a container in the freezer and add to it. When the container gets full, I make soup! The crockpot beef gives it a little extra flavor because it has the sauce/gravy with it.

I also think good soup comes from a little bit of this and a little bit of that, so my measurements are very close but aren't exact. If you want to change it up a little bit and give it your own flavor, I encourage it.

But, here's what you'll need to get the party started:

4 C of Crockpot Beef
7 C Beef Broth ~ I use 6 cups water and 7 beef bouillon cubes
7 stalks of Asparagus broken into pieces
1 small Red Onion chopped
1 Zucchini chopped
2 Carrots chopped
1 Green Pepper chopped
1 can Petite Diced Tomatoes
4 cloves Garlic chopped
2 Potatoes chopped
1 T Garlic Powder
1 T Italian Seasoning
2 t Basil and Oregano
3/4 C Frozen Corn
3/4 C Barley ~ I used quick cook

Toss the Asparagus, onion, zucchini, carrots and green pepper with a tablespoon of Olive Oil and 1 T Garlic Powder. Spread out on a cookie tray. Roast at 400 degrees for 20 minutes

Put beef, broth, chopped garlic, vegis, tomatoes, spices and bring to a boil. Add Barley, potatoes and corn. Cover and cook 10 minutes. Dinner is served! Or you can put in a crockpot, put in the fridge and reheat for tomorrow, takes about 4-6 hours to get to proper temp on low.

Vegis pre oven
Vegis post oven
Chop your potato
My Grandma didn't make soup but I've heard from a few people that it tastes like the one their Grandma did:) Enjoy!




No comments: