Search This Blog

Monday, November 14, 2011

Lasagna

This is one of those meals that make you plan ahead but it's a good thing. It can also sit in your fridge a couple of days until you're ready to bake it. And, let me say...since I started using dry noodles, I've never looked back. Why would I cook them and make extra work for myself???

However, this isn't the lasagna I usually make. I bought cottage cheese instead of ricotta, silly me thought that ricotta would be in the row that it stated and I didn't look closely. But I made it work and it was pretty tasty.

We're also going to pretend that this is a 13x9 pan because it will be easier for me to tell you amounts. If you want to get crazy and try this smaller 8x8 pan yourself, it's probably a little over 2/3 of the recipe for ingredient purposes.

Bet you're wondering why I didn't make a 13x9?? It's because I used left over sauce, and didn't have enough for the larger pan. See, left overs are a good thing.

What you'll need:

Spaghetti Sauce
or you can use your favorite jar sauce
Box of Lasagna Noodles
Large container of Cottage Cheese ~ I used low fat/small curd
1/2 C shredded Parmesan~please use fresh or if you use the can, don't tell me;)
3 C shredded Mozzarella

Sauce first, use about 1 1/4 C

Dry Lasagna noodles

Cottage Cheese~ 1/3 container

Mozzarella next ~ 1/2-3/4 C, plus a sprinkle of parmesan

Top with sauce, about 3/4 C

Repeat the above process 2 more times and top with additional cheese

Press down a bit.

Cover with foil and put in the fridge overnight so the noodles have time to soften.

Out of the oven and waiting to be served

1 comment:

~mj~ said...

Lasagna is my all-time favorite food!! OH MY GOSH!!! :) I used to NEVER make it because messing with those noodles was enough to make me lose my mind...I stopped boiling them too, and I LOVE it!! I thin my sauce with a bit of red wine to give the noodles some extra liquid to soak up...never thought of putting it in the fridge. Mmm!!!