Search This Blog

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Steak Fajitas

As I've told you, my son is a meat and bread kind of kid. Steak is his favorite so this is a pretty easy recipe that keeps him happy. I can add some vegetables to mine, so it works for me too.

Steak Fajitas
1 lb of skirt steak, i.e. cheap steak that is about 1/2 inch thick
1/2 green pepper sliced
1/2 medium onion sliced
3 t Fajita seasoning ~ if you don't have it handy, 1 t Cumin 2 t Chili Powder, 1 t Pepper, 2 t garlic powder
2 t Accent ~ meat tenderizer
1-2 T Olive Oil
Tortillas

Cut your steak into about 1/2 inch strips. Put in a ziploc with seasoning and oil. Throw in your fridge for 4 hours or overnight. Slice your peppers and onions. Heat your pan until it's nice and hot. Throw your steak on and cook until it's almost done to your liking. Throw the onions and peppers on and cook until vegetables are to your liking. Serve with whatever your favorite things...salsa, sour cream, cheese, guacamole. Roll up in tortilla and and enjoy.
I got this great grill pan as a gift a couple of years ago. It's great for making steaks or salmon in the winter months. It also works great for fajitas. BUT if you don't have one, don't let that stop you, a regular frying pan works just as well.
I forgot to take a photo of the steak pre cut, but this is how thick I cut the pieces.
Make sure your pan is hot when you put the meat on, it will sear in the juices. Turn the heat to about a medium heat to continue cooking if you want the meat a medium to done. If you keep it hot, the outside will be cooked and the inside will be closer to medium rare.
I like my peppers and onions barely cooked. If you like them soft, you will either want to add them when you add the meat or use another pan that you can cover and almost steam them to a finish.
Here's one for Max, just steak. Bend the bottom up and roll. If you do that, the meat can't fall out of the bottom and the whining will be kept to a minimum.
Here is one for me without all my extas;)
They don't look very fun but they taste good and Max eats without complaint. Dinner accomplished;)

No comments: