Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Brownie Bites

Last year the Spirit Committee at the school I work at started Anonymous Kindness. Randomly, something nice is done for you and you have to pay it forward. It can be little bags of candy, homemade treats, lunch...it's always different because everyone in the building participates at one time or another. I've also sent things to my kids school to get it started there.

You attach the following little note...

SMILE
You've been tagged!
Experiments in Anonymous Kindness is the name of the game and you're it:)

Someone reached out to you with an anonymous act of kindness. Now it's your chance to do the same. Do something nice for someone, leave this card behind and keep the spirit going!

Visit www.helpothers.org for more ideas, info or inspiration.

The fragrance always remains on the hand that gives the rose...Gandhi

This time I did Brownie Bites

Make a regular box of brownies but cook them in mini muffin tins. Top with cooked fudge frosting (probably the best fudge frosting I've ever tasted) and bag up in snack size ziplocs.

Fudge Frosting
1/4 C Butter (1/2 C)
4 T Milk (1/3 C)
2 T Cocoa (4 T)
Bring to a boil. Add
1 t Vanilla (2t)
1 3/4 C Powdered Sugar (3 1/2 C)
Whisk until smooth. Top your brownie bites.

NOTE...I double this recipe for a pan of brownies or cake and have some left over. The parenthesis have the double measurements.
I use this pan and another one that holds 12. Spray them well with cooking spray, you don't want them to stick. The regular box of brownie mix fills these 36 tins perfectly.
Fill your tins about 3/4 full of batter.
Here's a snack size bag of walnuts I had in the freezer. I broke them up with the base of my ice cream scoop and mixed it in with the left over batter. I used this batter to fill the other 12 cups because I know someone who likes brownies with nuts best:)
I used my cooling rack because these need to come out of the pan pretty quickly or they'll stick.
Time to make the frosting. Melt butter, milk and cocoa together until it boils.
This is what the frosting looks like when it starts to boil. Kind of oily and separating. Remove from heat. Add your vanilla.
Add your powdered sugar and give it a sturdy whisk quickly. Get those lumps out.
Your frosting is nice and shiny and not too thick. You can't let it sit, or it will harden.
A dollop of frosting on top of each brownie.
I sprinkled nuts on top of the nut ones so I could easily tell them apart but you want to do that quickly before the frosting starts to set up. Let the brownies set up for about 1/2 hour and then put in bags and attach your SMILE card:)

No comments: