Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Crustless Quiche

My friend Barbara made quiche the other day on her blog and I've been hungry for it ever since. Although I had crust I could have used, I also had some hashbrowns and thought that sounded like a yummy alternative. It was exactly what I was looking for.

Crustless Quiche

3/4 Package of shredded Hashbrowns
6 Eggs
1/4 C scant cup of milk
1 C Cheese~I used Havarti and Pepper Jack
3/4 C Ham diced
1/2 Green Pepper diced
1/2 small onion diced
1 t Thyme
1 t Garlic Powder
3 T Butter
1 T Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Cook hashbrowns, 2 T butter, oil and onion. Add Thyme and garlic powder. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook until they are browned but not crispy. Spray 8x8 pan with cooking spray. Dump cooked hashbrowns into pan and press into bottom and sides with a spoon, don't burn yourself. Throw ham and green peppers into pan with 1 T butter and saute about 3 minutes. You want to get the crunch out but not soggy. Pour on top of hashbrowns. Top with cheese. Mix 6 eggs, dash of salt and pepper and a scant 1/4 C of Milk. Pour on top. Bake at 350 for about 40-50 minutes, until middle is set. Cool a couple of minutes, cut and serve.
I changed my mind on the cheese after I took the photo. I had pepper jack and havarti in the fridge and I couldn't resist. Block cheese is ALWAYS the way to go but pre shredded is easy 99% of the time.
Here's your hashbrowns in the pan with onion, butter, oil, thyme, garlic powder and salt and pepper. You're going to cook these about 6-8 minutes on medium heat.
Here is your pan waiting for the hashbrowns.
I bought a one pound piece of ham. Cut it all up and freeze 2/3 of it in a ziploc for another time.
This is what it looks like diced and ready to go.
This is how your hashbrowns should look. You can make these from scratch if you want, but I wanted quick and easy so the bag worked great. Make sure you taste them to make sure they have enough salt and pepper.
Press the hashbrowns into the pan with a spoon. The picture doesn't show it, but I do have them pressed up the side as well.
Same pan you just dumped the hashbrowns from..throw in your ham and green peppers with a T of butter. Saute for a few minutes until the green pepper is softer.
Put on top of the hashbrowns.
Next comes the cheese. 1 cup of whatever kind you fancy. Shred it, chop it..choice is yours.
Throw in on top.
Whip up your eggs and milk. Season a bit with salt and pepper.
Pour eggs over the top. And put in a 350 oven for 40-50 minutes until center is set.
YUM! Ready to eat!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks great. I will have to try the hash browns. Looks so so yummy!

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

That looks delish! I quiche, I never make it though. It's my mom's specialty but I need to try this.