Search This Blog

Monday, June 3, 2013

Swirl Cake

It seems that it has been raining for a month and the end of the school year is always a tad gloomy.    So, I decided to make a fun cake for a co-worker's birthday to liven up the joint.

His favorite is a white cake with white frosting, that's a new one for me.  I went looking for a good recipe.  There were tons out there but lots of fussy ones.  One of them had me practically churning butter to get that "delicate" balance.  I don't mind making from complete scratch but that was a bit much.  I was about to give up when I found this one which I altered just a bit AND I added a super yummy filling.  It was a HIT!

What you'll need:

1 box White Cake Mix (I used Duncan Hines)
1 C Flour
1 C Sugar
1 1/3 C Milk
2 T Oil (I used Canola)
2 t Real Vanilla
1 C Sour Cream
2 Eggs



 
Mix everything in a bowl and beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into greased and floured cake pan. I used a large round pan. Bake in 325 degree oven until the cake tests done~insert tester into cake and if it comes out clean, you're done. This size pan took about 40 minutes. Cool cake 10 minutes then invert on a plate and cool.


Cut cake through the middle with a serated knife. Once you've taken the top off, cut a little more out of the bottom middle~think of it as a very shallow bowl. You can put a nice thick layer of whipped cream topping after you do this.

Whipped Cream Layer

8 oz Whipping Cream
2 t Vanilla
2 C Powdered Sugar
1 carton Raspberries
1/2 C Raspberry jam

Whip the cream and vanilla until it's thickened. Add powdered sugar and beat until STIFF. Fold in Raspberries. Put raspberry jam in the microwave for 30 seconds to melt. You can use any type of berry, just be sure that your jam matches.

Spread the melted jam on the bottom layer of the cake. Put whipped cream mixture in the bowl of the cake but stay away from the edges.

I used my favorite buttercream recipe but to make it just a little more fattening, I used half and half instead of milk.

Pipe buttercream around edge and put top back on. Frost entire cake with a light layer of buttercream. If you want to get fancy, pull out your star tip and make a bunch of circles to create a swirl cake and top with a few berries. Or frost the cake with a thicker layer of frosting and top with berries.

Refrigerate for a couple of hours to overnight and serve:)




Here's the cake already cut in half and slightly "bowled" out. 
 
Spread your melted jam
Whipped cream beaten stiff
 Put cream mixture in middle of cake
 
Buttercream edge so you don't lose your filling
 
Light layer of frosting if you're going to decorate or a thicker frost if you aren't. 

 
 Using your star tip, make some circles all over the top of the cake.  No real pattern but it's called a swirl cake if you want to youtube it.  Refrigerate a couple of hours or overnight.

 
 Couple of berries on top so people know what the filling is.
 
Have a piece of yummy cake!!



 

No comments: