Search This Blog

Monday, January 9, 2012

Beet Cake

I know what you're asking yourself. Why in the heck would Christol make a cake with beets? I would ask the same question because I am not a fan of beets but my book club read a book and beets were mentioned quite often so I went searching. I found the recipe here.

I further figured there would be 10 people to try the cake so if it was an epic fail, it at least wouldn't be completely wasted because 10 bites would have been had.

But, a funny thing happened. Everyone really liked the cake and since I know everyone is on their New Year diets...well, you can say you're eating your vegetables if you eat this. You're welcome;)

What you'll need:

15 oz can Beets Drained ~ but save 1/2 C of juice. These are the ones I bought
1 1/4 C Sugar
3/4 C Oil
1/2 C Beet Juice
3 Eggs
1 t Vanilla
1/4 t Salt
1 1/2 t Baking Soda
1 3/4 C Flour
3 1 oz unsweetened chocolate squares~melted

Sift together salt, baking soda, and flour. Set aside. Place beets in blender jar and puree. Add sugar, oil, and beet juice to beets and blend. Add eggs and vanilla. Blend well. Pour the beet mixture into a mixing bowl and add the dry ingredients. Mix well on medium speed for approximately one minute. Stir in melted chocolate. Pour batter into your trusty bundt pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted
comes out clean. Let cool.

Frost with your favorite chocolate frosting which for me is this one...

Fudge Frosting
1/2 C Butter
1/3 C Milk
4 T Cocoa
Bring to a boil. Add
2 t Vanilla
3 1/2 C Powdered Sugar

Whisk until smooth. Pour over your cake and store rest in fridge.

Blogger is not cooperating, so here are the four other photos I took. The beets in the blender, batter "pre" chocolate. I just LOVED the color, Batter with chocolate added and finally the yummy cake on the table.

No comments: