Search This Blog

Monday, October 17, 2011

Apple Crisp

Told ya, it's gonna be an all APPLE week and Apple Crisp is probably my favorite apple dessert. It totally reminds me of fall. I made this recipe twice and it was a hit both times. I did this recipe plus half to make a 13x9 those measurements are after ingredients in bold but don't worry if you aren't exact..this recipe has wiggle room.

Apple Crisp
4 C peeled and chopped Apples (6 C)
1/2 C Sugar (3/4 C)
1/2 C Brown Sugar plus about 3-4 T (3/4 C plus 5 T)
1 t Cinnamon (2 t)
1/2 C Flour (3/4 C)
1/2 C Oats (3/4 C)
1/3 C soft Butter (1/2 C)
3/4 t Cinnamon (1 1/4 t)
3/4 t Nutmeg (1 1/2 t)

Toss apples, sugar and 1 t cinnamon and put in 8x8 pan that has been sprayed with Cooking Spray. Sprinkle 3-4 T of Brown sugar on top. Mix together the other ingredients and dump on top of apples. Bake about 40 minutes at 375 or until top is golden and bubbly. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
Here's what you need. It's about 6-7 lunchbox sized apples to make 4 Cups or 4 large ones.
You can slice or chop apples, I just personally like chopped. Just make sure you cut them equally so they cook the same. If you don't, they will cook inconsistent and some will be squishy and some crunchy. If you want to avoid all the hassle, use a can of pie filling, just adjust cooking time to about 25 minutes;)
Spread chopped apples evenly in the pan.
Make sure your dry ingredients are mixed evenly with the butter.
Ready for the oven.
I'll confess and tell you it hasn't been my week and I forgot this in the oven for an extra 10 minutes. It still tasted fine, it was just a bit darker than usual. I can't eat ice cream but if I could, it would be scooped right next to this.

No comments: