Search This Blog

Monday, October 10, 2011

Apple Butter

Craig brought me a HUGE bag of apples from his apple tree. Not the kind that you can grab out of the bag and eat. They are ugly and strange shapes but they taste great. So, this week is dedicated to all the apple things I made.

Up first is Apple Butter. I'm not exactly sure why they call it "butter" because it doesn't contain any but it's pretty tasty. Maybe it's because you can put it on toast and you don't need any butter?? Is it just me or do you want to say Budda instead of Butter?? Sorry, lost my train of thought there for a second.

At any rate, it made the house smell lovely. I think everyone should make a batch just so you can smell it cooking.

I found the recipe here. But I didn't weigh my apples like she did because my scale needs a battery. That is probably a good thing since all these apple goodies aren't low in calories and I don't need to see the numbers the scale would produce.

Anyway, let's get this party started.

What you'll need:

5 1/2 lbs of apples peeled and chopped
3 C Sugar
1/4 Brown Sugar
3 t Cinnamon
2 t All Spice
1 t Ground Cloves
1/4 t Salt

Peel and chop you apples. I also ran them through the food processor a bit because she recommended it. Not sure it was completely necessary? Toss all the ingredients together and put in the crockpot on low. Cook 9-11 hours. Uncover, whisk a bit to break the apples up and cook another hour on low. It's ready to go.

Didn't have a scale so I filled up this colander

Top view

Chop them up a bit more

Throw your other stuff in the crockpot

Give it a good toss, cover, turn on low and come back in 10-12 hours.

Whisk it to get all the chunks worked out

Done...Now let's go make something YUMMY or you can be like Dylan and make a PB and Apple budda sandwich:)

No comments: