Search This Blog

Friday, July 8, 2011

Max

Max loves baseball. He primarily plays pitcher or catcher but also plays an occasional base. He bats in the top of the order, has hit a few home runs and is an all around decent player. I've cheered at the good games and simply said, "that sucked" when it's a bad one.

But, my proudest moment was a couple of years ago when a parent came up to me to tell me that she was so glad to see Max's name on the list with her son. I simply smiled at her because I didn't know who her son was.

She said, "My son played with Max a couple of years ago. He was new to the sport and wasn't very good. After every at bat, which were a lot of strike outs, Max would come up to him and tell him what a good effort he made. He would high five him when he came in from the field and would share little things that he could have done differently. It's because of Max that he continued to play, continued to get better and I wanted you to know what a great kid you have".

I was speechless. I knew Max was a good kid, a good player but I didn't know that he went above and beyond to make a difference. I thanked her with tears in my eyes for telling me and it was her turn to just smile.

Here he is this year, doing his thing.




No comments: