Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

An Observation

I took Max to get his haircut the other day and I noticed something strange. All the teenagers that came in immediately sat down. Their parent went to the reception desk and checked them in. The next day at the library, parents making requests for their children. The next day at Subway, I watched a few parents order for their children, who in my opinion were old enough to order for themselves.

The reason that I found that strange is because since my children were old enough to speak, they have ordered their own food, they check themselves in at appointments, they answer the questions the doctor asks. Honestly, I don't know why you would speak for your children when they have a voice of their own. Dylan was painfully shy and yet he knew when we went to a restaurant, he had to look at the server and order his food. It was tough for him but he did it and slowly the painfully shy Dylan was gone.

The questions at the doctors office make them pay attention. If I had been answering all the time, would they know or remember that they are allergic to Amoxicillin or Cefzil? If I ordered their food or checked them in, would they make eye contact with strangers and ask questions?

I think it's important to teach your children life skills, but it seems that I may be in the minority?

1 comment:

~mj~ said...

I totally agree!!