Search This Blog

Friday, December 19, 2014

Christmas Crack

I really don't like the name of this sweet treat but it's what it's called on literally hundreds of blogs and I can't remember which one I found it on first.  It was ALL over FB last year and Tina called me and said she had this summer yummy bar "thing" and wondered if I could re-create it.  She couldn't really remember what was in it, that wasn't helpful;)   She knew that she had just never had it so since I had never made this, I gave it a go.  It wasn't it but it was yummy.

Ingredients
  • 50 saltine crackers (approx.)
  • 2 sticks butter
  • 1 cup soft brown sugar
  • 2 cups chocolate chips
  • 1 cup M&M's
Instructions
  1. Pre-heat oven to 325°.
  2. 9x13 jelly roll pan. Spray with cooking spray and then line pan with saltine crackers.
  3. Place butter and sugar in a medium sized pot over low medium/low heat. Stir until butter is melted. Once butter is melted, bring to a boil for exactly 3 minutes. Stir constantly.
  4. Once it's nice and bubbly, remove pan from heat and pour evenly over saltine crackers. Spread mixture with a knife... however it doesn't have to be perfect. Try to move fast during this part so the toffee doesn't harden.
  5. Place pan in oven and bake for 7-8 minutes. The mixture will spread evenly over the crackers as it bakes.
  6. Remove pan from oven and then sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the toffee while it's still hot. Let the chocolate chips melt for a few minutes and then spread all over the toffee with a spatula. Sprinkle M&M's on top and then place in the fridge for 30 minutes. Once chocolate has hardened break pieces off the foil and store for up to two weeks in an container.
I didn't count my crackers as you can see and didn't have enough saltines but these other ones filled in fine.

There's the toffee goodness getting started.
Pour over the crackers.  Be careful putting into the oven because I spilled a little on my hand and it didn't feel great.
Sprinkle with chocolate chips.  I used half milk, half semi-sweet.

Melts fairly quick.  Spread with a spatula.  Throw some mini m&ms on top.
Break into pieces.  YUMMY



1 comment:

K :) said...

The girls love to make this recipe. It is definitely highly addictive.