Search This Blog

Monday, March 17, 2014

Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls

I'm trying one of those 10 day detox things to flush out all the crap I've been eating.  Namely sugar.  I have been a SUGAR freak lately and that has not been kind to the scale.  The thing I like about the detox diet is I can eat as many non-starchy vegetables that I want and protein at lunch and dinner so I'm thinking I won't be hating life too much? 

I made this a couple of weeks ago in preparation for this detox and really liked it so it's on the menu this week for dinner.  If you like hot dishes, this will fit the bill.  It's straight up Grandma comfort food with a bit of a zip from the chilis and salsa without the calories.  Very Weight Watcher friendly because your only points are the turkey and the rice and the rice, you could leave out.  It's also St. Patrick's Day so you can get your cabbage fix:)

I used:

1 lb ground turkey

3 cloves Garlic

1 medium onion diced

Cook and season with salt and pepper

 

1 small cabbage about the size of a cantaloupe chopped and washed.  Add to turkey mixture.

  


Add

1 sm can Tomato sauce

1 tomato sauce can water ~ I’d leave this out next time

1 can diced tomatoes with chilis

1 C Salsa
 Season with a bit of salt and pepper. Give it a stir, cover and turn on medium low heat (3-4 on my stove) Leave for 10 minutes, take off cover and stir. Ready.
  I added 2 big handfuls of spinach leaves because I thought it looked a tad anemic and 1 ½ C cooked brown rice (added  because it seemed soupy).  Stir until wilted and serve.

No comments: