Search This Blog

Monday, November 18, 2013

Spaghetti Squash

This week is going to be about spaghetti squash because it's easy to make and it's good for you.  The possibilities are quite endless but I'm just going to show you a couple of my favorites after I show you how to get the squash ready. 
 
Let me also say that I prefer to make it, refrigerate it and reheat quickly in whatever recipe I'm making with it.  I think by refrigerating it, it gets a little of the crisp back but that might be completely in my head.
 
First, this is what a spaghetti squash looks like.
You're going to slice it in half.  To do that, you're going to need a sharp knife and a little muscle.  Be super careful that the knife doesn't slip.  You can cut it lengthwise like I did here or in half.  Just adjust your cooking time accordingly.
Scoop out the seeds and throw those. 
Place face down on aluminum foiled sheet pan and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes.  Cooking time will very depending on the size of your squash.  I've never really paid attention but probably about 15-20 minutes per pound of squash.  To test if it's ready, just give it a little squeeze.  If it's soft, it's ready.  You can also cook face up, you just get a little brown on the top.
Out of the oven and cooled a little bit, take a fork and shred the squash and put in a bowl.  This is what it looks like.  You can add a couple teaspoons of Olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper and serve like this or you can come back tomorrow and see what else I've done with it.

No comments: