Search This Blog

Monday, June 13, 2011

Summer Fun

School is OUT..time to plan some fun. My kids could drive me INSANE during the summer when they were younger. My friend Karol had a great suggestion, a SUMMER FUN list.

Here's how it works. We sat down and each kid picked 5 things they wanted to do over summer vacation. They have to get creative because one had to be free, one big ticket and three minimum expense.

The RULES...they couldn't ask "when" the things would happen. I would surprise them when their behavior was good or if they showed kindness to one another but I didn't do it every time they were good..gotta keep them guessing. After we did the activity, it was crossed off.

IF they were naughty. Fighting, bickering...a random thing would get crossed off the list. I would say, "you just lost #4". I would go to the list and count down 4 of the activities left and cross it off. You want to see behavior change...cross something off the list.

I'm kind of sad that we don't do a list anymore. Max is enrolled in a summer enrichment program and is gone from 8-5 everyday. We fit fun things in as time allows now but I wanted to share our old list.

So, what you need...a poster board, some markers and your imagination. We hung ours on the back of the basement door. HAVE FUN!

1. Picnic at Minnehaha Falls
2. Horse Track on buck night
3. Train downtown to the library
4. Movie at cheap theater
5. Valley Fair
6. Floor picnic and movie night at home
7. Waterpark
8. Long Bike Ride around town
9. Breakfast at the Farmers Market
10. First run movie

No comments: