Search This Blog

Friday, April 18, 2014

Brownie Bites

We're going UNtraditional for Easter and having a Mexican Buffet and I thought a bunch of little desserts would be fun so I'm making Brownie Bites as one of them.  The photos are a re-post and I love them this way.  BUT an easier option and one I'll be doing this weekend is to simply push a Rolo in the middle of each one OR drop a few mini M&Ms on top~sorry no photos.  The possibilities are endless actually.  Any of your favorite candy can be pushed in the center for a fun surprise.

Make a regular box of brownies but cook them in mini muffin tins. Top with cooked fudge frosting (probably the best fudge frosting I've ever tasted) and bag up in snack size ziplocs.

Fudge Frosting
1/4 C Butter (1/2 C)
4 T Milk (1/3 C)
2 T Cocoa (4 T)
Bring to a boil. Add
1 t Vanilla (2t)
1 3/4 C Powdered Sugar (3 1/2 C)
Whisk until smooth. Top your brownie bites.

NOTE...I double this recipe for a pan of brownies or cake and have some left over. The parenthesis have the double measurements.
I use this pan and another one that holds 12. Spray them well with cooking spray, you don't want them to stick. The regular box of brownie mix fills these 36 tins perfectly.  If you're pushing candy in the middle, only fill them about 1/2 way.
Fill your tins about 3/4 full of batter.
Here's a snack size bag of walnuts I had in the freezer. I broke them up with the base of my ice cream scoop and mixed it in with the left over batter. I used this batter to fill the other 12 cups because I know someone who likes brownies with nuts best:)
I used my cooling rack because these need to come out of the pan pretty quickly or they'll stick.
Time to make the frosting. Melt butter, milk and cocoa together until it boils.
This is what the frosting looks like when it starts to boil. Kind of oily and separating. Remove from heat. Add your vanilla.
Add your powdered sugar and give it a sturdy whisk quickly. Get those lumps out.
Your frosting is nice and shiny and not too thick. You can't let it sit, or it will harden.
A dollop of frosting on top of each brownie.
I sprinkled nuts on top of the nut ones so I could easily tell them apart but you want to do that quickly before the frosting starts to set up. Let the brownies set up for about 1/2 hour.

No comments: