Search This Blog

Thursday, May 21, 2020

Chicken Dijon...or as the Kjome kids know it...Chicken in Cream Sauce;)

Because my kids don't like mustard I didn't tell them that dish that they both love contains it.  Got this from one of my hockey moms and it has been in the regular rotation since.  Serves great over rice or pasta or wanna be healthy?  Throw it over your favorite veg!

What you'll need:
4 Skinless Chicken Breasts
2 T Butter
Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder
Dijon Style Mustard

Sauce
2 T Butter
1 medium Onion chopped (you can leave these out)
1/2 C Mushrooms chopped (you can leave these out)
1 C Cream or Milk (I used half and half or if I'm feeling sassy, heavy cream)
2 T Lemon Juice
Salt and Pepper
I double the above because my family really loves the sauce

Melt 2 T Butter in a cast iron skillet over medium heat (you don't have to use cast iron, but I was going for one pot cooking)

 Rough chop mushrooms and onions
 Season chicken and put into melted butter, cook for 3-4 minutes
 Flip chicken and cook for another 3 or 4 minutes
Remove chicken from pan and put to the side.  See that it's raw in the middle?  That's ok, you're going to finish cooking in the oven. 
 Throw last 2 T butter in pan and melt with juices over medium heat
 Toss in the onions and mushrooms and cook for about 3-4 minutes until softened and the mushrooms are browning up.
 Mix in the cream (or half and half or milk...just don't use fat free here, it will taste ok but it will have a curdled look which isn't very appetizing)
 Cook for a few minutes on low heat until it starts to thicken.  Turn off heat and mix in lemon juice.  Taste to see if you need any seasoning.
 Generously spread Dijon mustard on chicken breasts.  I don't know what "generous" is but this is what it looks like to me;)  You can cut chicken into chunks or halves if you want for easier serving.

Put back into pan covering with sauce.  Remember I doubled my sauce, if you didn't, you wont have quite as much.  

If you are using a different pan the "real" directions say to put into a sprayed 8x8 pan and cover with sauce.
Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes until chicken is cooked through.

Serve over your favorite and enjoy.  Reheats great for leftovers but doesn't freeze well.

No comments: