Search This Blog

Friday, November 16, 2012

Chicken and Rice

I am guessing you've figured out my secret?  That I have been completely unorganized, busy running around and not digging the "fall back" of the clocks.  My body REALLY doesn't like the lack of sunshine.  I'm writing that off to why I am so completely scattered.  So, I'm taking my B12, Vitamin D and squeezing in a nap here and there and hope to be get my groove back. 

I made this one chilly night when I was really craving comfort food but was completely lacking ambition.  It took all of 10 minutes to throw together, an hour to cook so I could grab a quick nap and it hit the spot for me.  I realize that probably everyone has either seen this recipe, made it or at the very least eaten it somewhere but it was the first time I had made it so I thought I'd let you know how easy it was.

My kids ate it, they don't love anything mixed together and this was considered "mixed".  Yes, I know, it's rice and it's chicken but, well, yeah, I'm out of excuses for these children.  They eat it or they eat cereal, I don't really sweat it anymore and they ate it.

Here's what you'll need:

Package of Chicken Breast, mine was 1 1/4 lb
Can of Cream of Chicken Soup ~ I use 98% fat free
1 C fat free Half and Half ~ you can use water, chicken broth, milk
3/4 C White Rice ~ not instant
1/2 t Onion Powder
1/2 t Garlic Powder
1/4 t Pepper
1/2 C Mozzarella Cheese shredded

Whisk together the soup, Half and Half and seasoning together.  Add rice and pour into a sprayed casserole dish (I used my small pot since I was too lazy to dig out my pyrex).  Cut each chicken breast into thirds and sprinkle with Season salt, pepper and garlic powder.  Place around the rice mixture.  Sprinkle cheese over the top.  Cover and bake at 350 for 1 hour.  Serve with your favorite vegetable or if you have kids that aren't fussy, toss the raw or frozen vegetable in with the rice and bake it all together.

                Ready for the oven
Top with Cheese
                                       Dinner is served
 
Makes 4 servings

No comments: