Search This Blog

Monday, October 7, 2013

Beef Barley Soup

The temps dropped this weekend and it rained off an on and it was time to make some soup.  I've made beef barley before but this one a touch different.  That's the beauty of making soup, you can make it different but similar and the result is always YUMMY.

I had some leftover Crockpot Beef in the freezer and decided to go from there. I would also like to note that I don't have the right amount left over from one crock pot of beef. I keep a container in the freezer and add to it. When the container gets full, I make soup! The crockpot beef gives it a little extra flavor because it has the sauce/gravy with it.

Here's what you'll need to get the party started:

4 C of Crockpot Beef
7 C Beef Broth ~ I use 7 cups water and 7 beef bouillon cubes
1 Soup Bone ~ this is just a bonus.  I happen to be at the butcher and grabbed one.  It just gives your soup a little more depth but completely not necessary.
1 small Onion chopped
2 Carrots chopped
1 can Petite Diced Tomatoes
4 cloves Garlic chopped
2 Potatoes chopped
3 Cloves of Garlic minced
1 T Italian Seasoning
2 t Basil and Oregano
3/4 C Frozen Corn
2 C Fresh Green Beans
1 C Barley ~ I used quick cook

Put beef, broth, soup bone, chopped garlic, carrots, onion, tomatoes, spices and bring to a boil. Add leftover beef and reduce to a simmer.  Simmer for an hour.  Add Barley, potatoes, green beans and corn. Cover and cook 10 minutes. Dinner is served! Or you can put in a crockpot, put in the fridge and reheat for tomorrow, takes about 4-6 hours to get to proper temp on low.

Chop your potato
My Grandma didn't make soup but I've heard from a few people that it tastes like the one their Grandma did:) Enjoy!

 

No comments: