Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Driving Skills


Photo from Fox 9

This has been a snowy winter. We got about 21" over the weekend and to say I'm sick of it would be a HUGE understatement. But because of the snow, we also had a milestone moment.

Sunday night we were coming home from a hockey game, the roads were deserted because every sane person was snuggled up in their home and we got stuck. Max tried to push us out but he needed some help. Help would have to be me but who would steer the car and hit the gas??

I looked into the back seat and said, "Claire you're going to have to drive".

She giggled and climbed over the seat.

I showed her the brake, the gas and how to shift into REVERSE only. Told her how to turn the wheel and walked around to the front of the car. Max and I got into position and Max asked, "are you sure she knows what she's doing"?

"Guess we'll find out". I said a little prayer and looked into her excited eyes between the steering wheel and gave her the thumbs up to give it gas.

SUCCESS!! I jumped into the drivers seat to drive us home. Not success, we were stuck in another spot.

Out we went again. Claire got back into position. A guy came from somewhere and offered to help. I said, "my 10 year old is driving so you've been warned".

He asked, "does she know how to brake"?

"Far as I know".

He shrugged and helped push us out.

So, not only a milestone but a life lesson as to how to steer out of being stuck. She was pretty proud of herself and Max and I were very grateful that we didn't have to walk home in the knee deep snow.

2 comments:

Anna said...

Go Claire Go! That is too funny!

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

I love this! I cannot picture Rhiannon doing it though. lol